Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chats on the Farmhouse Porch: Maestro

It's hard to believe that June is almost here. Where does the time go?

I'm linking up with Patrice at Everyday Rurality for her Chats on the Farmhouse Porch. Care to join me? Patrice asks us five questions. My responses are written below. You can join the chat by linking to Everyday Rurality, or simply by commenting on my post.


Patrice asks:

1. Do you have any musical instruments in your house? If so, which ones do you have?
We have a number of violins and a viola. My youngest wrote Santa, two days before Christmas, saying he wanted a violin. Santa left him a note that children only got violins once they had lessons. So, over the next year(s) I took our sweet boy to weekly lessons.

Our Little Maestro

At the first lesson the instructor handed a violin to me, as well as one to our boy. She explained that kids get more out of lessons if Mom or Dad get involved as well. So.... I learned to play and went on to sit in the Youth Orchestra as an "Angel" for a few years. (I always told the director that I didn't really sound like an Angel, but she loved having adults who could at least follow the music, and tap off-task children with the tip of a bow now and then!) Son went on to play the viola. We also have an antique flute and a bugle somewhere. Oh, and a few recorders from when I was a kid - they are truly antiques now!

2. When you take a walk, what are you likely to pick or pick up from the ground?
I am a trash picker-upper, especially if that trash might be hurtful to animals coming that way. I often have bits of wire, pop-tops, nails, shards of glass or any number of items in my pockets.... and then have to remember to empty them before my pants go in the wash! 

3. They say to have breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Are your meals like that?
Nope. Sadly, my body is like that of a Haflinger. I'm an easy keeper and tend towards chubbiness. I usually eat a small breakfast; sometimes an egg, sometimes 1/2 cup of granola cereal. I often have a sandwich for lunch. Dinner is pretty basic; meat, vege and more recently fruit instead of pasta or potato.

4. Do you prefer iced coffee or iced tea?
Uh, wine? Oh...wait, I can answer this! I recently acquired a taste for iced coffee. I like that as a pick-me-up on a sunny, summer afternoon!

5. How do you handle doing things you'd rather not do?
I'm with Patrice on this...procrastination is a good thing. For me, I use that  time to plan and think about how to tackle the big job. Many times the project will weigh heavy on my mind.  I'll wake at night and think about it. I may even get up and jot down some notes. Then... once that is off my mind, I'll fall back asleep and wake in the morning, ready to get going. Then it is full steam ahead!

Click on the image below to see other responses to the chat.


9 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you out there picking up trash. Kim and I are out there picking up rocks. ??? Iced tea or iced coffee? Wine! okay-whatever:) I had to laugh at your Haffie comment.Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by to see your answers to Ms. Patrice's questions this week. And, please know that I also tend toward chubbiness....very chubby!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always in awe of people who can play instruments! We have none in our house.
    When I take the dogs for walk through our Metroparks, I generally don't pick anything. I look at the nature. The trails are clean, so there is usually not trash on them. So I guess the only thing that gets picked up is dog poop!
    I agree! I am an easy keeper, too and I love food! I am completely backwards from the saying. . .I don't eat breakfast (bad me), lunch is usually light, and dinner is my biggest meal. But usually the least healthy.
    I like the frozen coffee drinks, like the frappiccinos. No coffee or tea for me.
    I am with you and Patrice. . .procrastination all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only procrastinate the things I really don't want to do because, if I put them off, they turn into never-get-dones...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome that you pick up trash. We should all so that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment about my answers of Patrice's questions.I enjoyed reading your answers.
    I pick up trash too, even strings because they get tangled in bird's feet.

    Good for you that you took violin lessons too. I started to learn and was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a radical mastectomy and I couldn't lift my arm comfortably long enough to play and sadly, I never got back to it. JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't do coffee. Yuck!

    Here's my chat:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2012/05/hodgepodge-and-chats-53012.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister played the violin so cool love the sound of a violin!! The easy keeper is classic I LOVED that. thanks for hopping over :}

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...