Thursday, May 19, 2011

EHV-1 Update; Thursday, May 19

In our local area most horse events for this weekend have been canceled or postponed. One of my friend's veterinarians has recommended that everyone keep their horses at home for at least 21 days. 

Sign on the gate of a stable near my house!


The Colorado Department of Agriculture has the following posted, as of 5/19 at 1:00 PM. 
  • 8 confirmed cases of horses with EVH-1 (in Colorado)
    • At least five of the confirmed EHV-1 positive horses had recently attended the National Cutting Horse Association’s Western National Championships in Ogden, Utah.
    • Two horses were euthanized after showing severe neurological signs associated with the diseases.
  • 22 suspect cases. Suspect cases are those horses that are believed to have been exposed to EHV-1 but confirmatory tests are still pending.
  • 10 quarantine and hold orders have been issued in 6 counties (Bent, Boulder, Larimer, Mesa, Morgan & Weld)
In addition to the confirmed cases in California, Colorado, Canada and Washington, authorities are now saying that there have been more cases in  Idaho, New Mexico, Arizona, Oregon and Utah.

The clinical signs typically start with a fever of 102 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. Other symptoms include:
  • Nasal discharge from both nostrils or urine dribbling
  •  Unusual tiredness or reduced tail tone
  •  Weakness or difficulty/inability standing
  •  Leaning or recumbency
This virus can also cause late term abortions or chronic health problems for foals that were infected in utero.

The Colorado Department of Agriculture has also said that camelids, which are alpacas, llamas and camels, are susceptible to EHV-1, but there have been no cases related to this outbreak. 


 Check the links on my sidebar for more information.

6 comments:

  1. I sure didn't like dropping Misty off at the vet clinic yesterday for her tooth pull. I'd rather she was isolated at home until this outbreak passes. But the tooth has to come out and I don't think my clinic has come into contact with any EHV-1 horses. I'll feel better when my big girl is back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this can be controlled.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! That doesn't sound good. How your horses will be safe from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're keeping the horses home too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure is a scary thing to see that on your barn but necessary. Makes me glad to have mine at my house which means my guys will be staying home for awhile! And thanks for your kind words about Eclipse on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...