Friday, June 10, 2011

Fledgling

Today I watched a fledgling fly,
Furiously flapping as he conquered the sky.
Proud speckled mama was standing by,
Chirping encouragement to her little guy.


This isn't my photo because, as so often happens, the camera was not with me. But three different times today I happened to see young robin(s) on his/her first flights. It was so much fun to watch as he launched himself, chirping madly all the way. I think he was saying, "Look, Mom! Look, Dad! I'm flying. I'm really, truly flying!" He had the flying part down by this afternoon, but landings were still a bit precarious. This morning Dad was on duty, watching the proceedings from the top of a fencepost. This afternoon it was Mom's turn. She was on the beam of our barn, watching proudly as her youngsters practiced take-offs and landings.

I don't know about you, but moments like this warm my heart and make me know that all is right with the world, at least for that second!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love watching the birds! Their song alone, can make one feel that all is right with the world!
    Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! These are the moments we should always take the time to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun sight. I like watching the birds and their babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so exciting to get to watch. I got to see one take it's first flight last month. Awesome

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...