Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What's It?

No, no, Tucker, it's not a bone!

What's it?




.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 
This is another version of the same tool.
I made this to help when we were installing the floor.


Need another hint?
.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.
These are most often used in wood working.

.


.


.


.


.


.


They take the place of pencils and rulers.
.

.

.

.

This is a scribe. It is an antique scribe, but you can still buy them (and make them) today. There are times when they are more helpful than measuring something with a ruler and marking it with a pencil. The wooden screw peg on the scribe allows the user to move the block up or down the bar to the desired size. A nail on one end scratches a mark as you draw the scribe down a length of wood. 

We used the scribe I made to mark where to cut the floor boards by the door. The sill plate made it difficult to measure the size of board we would need, and it was important for the wood to fit snugly against the sill. The scribe fit under the sill plate and in moving the scribe along the wood by the door the nail on the scribe scratched a line on the floor board to show where we needed to cut.

Evidence: Hubby does know how to vacuum after all!

6 comments:

  1. I love that old tool and I'm sure my husband would know what it is. I also love a vacuuming husband as long as he stays away from our birdcage (see yesterday's post of mine).--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  2. very inventive and your floor looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you clever! And your floor is beautiful. It must be very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband probably knows the tool he is quite handy. Thanks for sharing. Your floors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea what that tool was..or is. A vacuum? I'll have to look into getting one of those! (kidding of course) Your place looks great.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen that tool before. Your room is looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...