Friday, December 13, 2013

What's Good for the Goose....

No! No!  It's not good. You are sitting ducks... or flying ducks... or something like that!

Our stop in Dalhart, Texas was heralded by watching flock gaggle skein* after V-shaped skein of honking geese fly overhead. I have never seen so many geese in one day, let alone in just the 30 minutes we had before dark. It seems we aren't the only snowbirds flying south!


This part of the Texas Panhandle is a huge winter playground for Canada Geese, Snow Geese, Sandhill Cranes, other water fowl, quail and pheasant. It is estimated that 250,000 - 500,000 birds winter here. Wow! That's a lot of foul fowl! 


Rita Blanco Lake and large tracts of farm land provide perfect wintering grounds for the birds with plenty of food, water and shelter. Unfortunately for them, the huge population of birds attracts an equally large number of hunters. This area is known to be the 'finest goose hunting in the Texas Panhandle.


I am not a hunter, and would not enjoy killing birds. But, a tasty goose might be interesting to try.

* OK... I learn something new every day (and I forget so much, learning seems to happen more frequently)!  A group of geese, while on the ground, is called a gaggle. When they are airborne they may be called a skein... this, according to Wikipedia

4 comments:

  1. Didn't know about the "skein", I learned something too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe of the information I have at my fingertips!

      Delete
  2. It is true, one always learns something while blogging.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...