Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rain, Rain...

I was wishing for rain. 
That would mean I wouldn't have to water the grass. 
Right?

"... and the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down..."

Now I'd like to rescind my order, please? 
Pretty please?

Although I live in an area that is in the 'flash flood watch', I have not been impacted by flooding. 
I don't live near a river and I live near the top of a ridge. 
I'm lucky.

Some areas of Colorado are experiencing terrible flooding.
Boulder has had over 9" of rain since the storm began on Wednesday.
This, in an area that normally gets 20"-24" of precipitation in a year!

This is 'downtown' Lyons.
Lyons is an island, for now.

Lyons, CO
source

Hwy 7 West of Lyons

All streets in and out of Lyons are now closed.
They are blocked, or cut, or bridges are threatened.

Flooding in Estes Park, CO


source

Estes Park, CO
Denver Post

Estes Park is practically an island.
One of the roads leading to Estes Park has washed out. Others have landslides and debris blocking the roads. The only road that remains open (as I write this) is the Trail Ridge Road through the Rocky Mountain National Park. This is the highest paved road in the US. It does not remain open once snow flies.

Commerce City

Rain is filling numerous water reservoirs and to keep them from overrunning their banks, or washing out the dams, water is being released, which compounds the problems 'down stream'.

Near Broomfield, CO

Rain is still falling, and is expected to continue through midday tomorrow. I hope that folks stay safe.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you posted that your above the flooding. I've wondered every time I see the flooding on the news. Prayers to all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're safe. That's a lot of water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad about Lyons :( Of course, I'm sad that I can't get to my parents' place because of that washout on Hwy 7. I bet in the light of day today it's even scarier.

    These are heartbreaking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Water has such terrible force, I am glad you are not flooding. My heart goes out to all that are:(

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...