Sunday, July 30, 2017

Stitched Together

When our son took the photos using the drone he accomplished three things. He took some still images of the house, he had the drone circle the house and take video footage, and he "mapped" the property, taking photos shooting straight down while the drone followed a regular path going back and forth on our property. The drone was programmed to take 116 shots, and later my son stitched those photos together to create an aerial image of our property.

Click on this link to see the image.

If you view the image online, instead of simply looking at the screen shot I have posted, you can see many details with amazing clarity. I was surprised by the tracks left from the truck when it removed trees in May. Those tracks can be seen on the left center portion of the property. It shows how fragile our Colorado high desert land is.


It saddened me to see the "road" through the pasture. This was created by traffic during our estate sale. Our driveway was too narrow for two-way traffic so we had no option but to cut the fence and route traffic through the property. We have used the drag harrow to try to "rough up" the tracks, and we have spread some dry-land prairie grass seed mix, but it will take years to recover, if it ever does.

You can zoom in on my vegetable garden raised beds, the green rectangle just south and west of the house. I was tickled by the row of bright green lettuce. Do you see the red Zinnia blooming? I had some packets of Zinnia seeds and planted them to fill in here and there in the vegetable garden. They are beginning to bloom and they look great!


Oh, and look, just east of the garden you can see the drag harrow and the scuffed up earth behind it!

From this view our land looks like it is just dirt, but looking at it from ground level it does have a lot of plant life!


And, speaking of plant life, if you zoom in by the house you can see the purple-blue clumps of Russian Sage, and in the flower garden in back of the house I can see the wild sun flowers, some day lilies, my purple Monardia, and even my Echinacea. Outside of the picket fence I cracked up when I saw the hose. At first I thought there was a line drawn on the map for some reason!


And then there is my not-so-round pen! When I set the pen up I used a rope attached to a metal rod to "draw" a perfect circle. This past fall Mr. Dreamy installed a weather station on one of the fence posts of the pasture. In order to keep curious horses from "playing" with the weather station, I moved two panels to block off the weather station, and closed up the round pen. I bet you can see from where those panels were taken! I can!

If you know where to look along the fence line one can even see my bird houses. I have over a half-dozen to encourage our bluebirds. This year we had a few couples that managed to fight off the swallows and maintain ownership of their houses. It has been wonderful to see bluebird families in the yard. And, it has been fun to have this birds-eye view of our property.




https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/maps/public/1332c3798b6e47e5bf2d4a43d042afb1

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...