Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Texas Two-Step

At the end of day 2 of travel, Dreamy, Mr. Dreamy (hereinafter referred to as "The Dreamers") and the two dogs found themselves in Van Horn, TX, looking for a grocery store. Since the RV was still winterized, and since temperatures below freezing were expected that evening... even in southern Texas,  we needed additional fresh water.  We remain puzzled as to how the 2050 residents (US Census Bureau, 2011) of Van Horn acquire food. We discovered no less than 18 hotels, 3 campgrounds, 6 gas stations, and finally, we found what seemed to be the only grocery store in town. They have a captive audience, for sure!

Our third day of driving took us through the Texas mountain region and into hill country. We looked for the mountains. They may make things bigger in Texas, but that apparently doesn't apply to landforms. We ended our day in Boerne, TX, perched precariously on the side of a hill. The view was lovely, or maybe I should say it would have been lovely if it weren't for the mist and clouds...and the rain.  The rain made a pleasant sound on the roof. The next morning the sound was no longer pleasant - it had grown irritating through the night, and the prospect of driving through the rain was less than pleasant. The rain turned on and off, so most of the trip through the the central and southeastern portion of Texas was merely gray. We folks from Colorado don't have much familiarity with gray days, but having spent most of our lives elsewhere, we Dreamers knew it would be OK, and that some time in the future we would actually see the sun again. (As I write this, we are still waiting.)

The Dreamers ended the fourth day of their journey to the south driving through pouring rain, which, judging by the fields along the road which were all under water, had been falling for quite some time. We had finally made it through Texas. We travelled 880.5 miles in the state. At an average of 60 miles per hour, our total time in Texas was...  oh, heck, do you expect me, the former Middle School Math teacher, to actually give you the answer? I will give you a clue, it took as long to drive through Texas as it would probably take me to learn how to dance the Texas Two-Step!

6 comments:

  1. Let's hope the rain doesn't follow you to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said a couple of days ago, Texas is a b-i-g state. Sure hope you find sunshine --- and bring it to my neighborhood as the sky has been much too gray for me. Now that you've "finished" Texas, the remainder of your drive should go quickly!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain, rain, go away! Especially for you! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think how beautiful your home sky will look when you come back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear that someplace is getting moisture! Have fun hope you see the sun someday..Dreamers! :)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...