Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hobby Horse Blog Hop - 30: Travel Woes

I mentioned my 'big' trip to the Doctor today. She asked if I was up-to-date on my shots. I commented that I didn't think it was still necessary to have special shots to go through the Panama Canal. She reminded me that a flu shot might be important, since I will be rubbing elbows with many more people than I see in a month around home. So, I left her office with a Scooby-Doo bandaid and an arm that aches just a bit!

Come chat with us!
How would you answer the following questions?


Take a few minutes to respond in a comment or on your blog.
I enjoy having a 'conversation'.
Complete your blog post (or comment) by asking a question of us.
Link your post to the Hobby Horse Blog Hop
by using the Linky Tool below. 
Or... 
Leave a comment with your responses to the questions.
Visit other participating blogs on the list
and respond to their questions in your comments.
Hobby Horse Blog Hop Prompts - Week 30:
  1. Are you up-to-date on your shots? 
  2. What about your animals? What are your feelings about annual vaccinations?
  3. If you could travel anywhere... where would you go? What sort of things would you like to do or see? 
  4. What are your preferred ways to travel?
My answers:
1. There are probably some other shots I should have. I can't remember when I had my last Tetanus shot, but I do think it's been within the last 5 years or so. I am getting to the age where I should consider a Shingles vaccine - from what I've heard, that's a condition I don't want.
2. After hearing about how Rabies exhibits itself in horses, and because there have been cases in my area, I made sure that my horses were vaccinated against it. But, with regards to most vaccinations, in my opinion, our animals are 'over-vaccinated'. I find it hard to believe that they need annual boosters throughout their lives, to keep them disease-free. I've also heard terrible stories about reactions to vaccines. When my animals were home bound and I knew that they were not likely to be exposed to diseases, I would often let their vaccinations lapse for a period of time. Whenever I knew that my animals were likely to be exposed, for example if I knew I was planning on taking the horses to a clinic, or taking the dogs to a dog park, then they would get their vaccines to protect them and to protect me from a possible legal ramifications.
3. I would love to go to Australia and New Zealand. I have always had a fascination for the countries 'down under'. I would want to be there for several weeks, at minimum, and would like to travel throughout the country. Seeing the movie, Rabbit-Proof Fence, made me want to explore the outback even more. Naturally, I'd enjoy seeing the outback from the back of a horse!
4. Although I enjoy the speed of air travel, the hassles at the airport and the discomfort of the seats makes it distasteful. I love traveling by ship - of course, it must cater to me, providing good food and entertainment - no working freighter for me! I think I am also going to enjoy traveling on the RV, since Mr. Dreamy has declared he won't drive more than 6 or 7 hours on any given day. It used to be that on long trips we would get in the car and drive at least 12 hours before stopping - hated that!!
Now it's your turn! Join the hop!

1 comment:

  1. I just got a shingles shot last week. I was inspired by a dear friend who had to do barn chores at night because his case of shingles was so painful he couldn't bear to put clothes on, and did his barn chores naked! That motivated me. The doctor told me the shot cuts your risk in half, and if you do get shingles after the shot, it will be less painful.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...