Saturday, September 18, 2010

Trot - Trot Easy - Easy I Say

I have that lovely slightly achy feel that comes from doing a lot of riding. It feels good. But to be honest, I am tired of trotting. Probably as tired of trotting as Pippin is! I've been lunging and round penning Pippin to get him to settle into a nice, steady trot and to work at relaxing and bringing his head down. Once he's settled, I usually get on and we do some more trotting. I never realized until recently just how nervous Pippin is. I think he really is anxious when he has a person on top of him, and that is the root of all of his problems. When I ask for a trot I get a T-R-O-T....fast and furious. My intention is to 'ride it out' without meddling with his mouth until he settles. However, I usually give in before he does and ask for some smaller circles and serpentines to settle him. I hope to look back at this post (in the very near future) to see how much Pippin has changed. (Hint, hint, hint!)

3 comments:

  1. Hoping both of you feel the change soon.

    I love that slightly achy feeling from horseback riding too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I know that feeling very well.

    Poco does the same thing. Try counting out loud, kissing, clucking, or "tsk-ing" to him at the rhythm YOU want. It didn't take long for him to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy do I know that feeling !!!! Advil is my friend!

    Like Leah I use the counting, or clucking in rhythm I want with Rosie to get her settled into a nice trot. The smaller circles and serpentines are perfect too. Add some barrels, posts or poles to mix it up and soon you'll have a nice trot!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...