Friday, September 3, 2010

An Elevating Experience

Hay is ready for pickup. That's what the email said. Time for work!

We have a wonderful opportunity in our community. We have a fairly large common area of land that can not be developed as it lies in a flood plain. The area is mowed and baled and each horse owner has the opportunity to purchase a certain number of bales per horse at $3.00 per bale. This year we were allocated 50 bales for each horse. We all watch the cutting and baling process, anxiously awaiting the 'go ahead' to collect hay. We all have our own opinions of just where the best hay is located and there is somewhat of a scramble to get to those spots. There are a few folks who are a bit underhanded about the hay pickup, but for the most part we have a good time and neighbors help each other and enjoy the camaraderie of bucking hay - although for some of us the bucking is more like a feeble crow hop!

Close inspection. Was this the area where the thistle was growing, or was that closer to the road?

Hurry up and take the picture. This bale is heavy!

Hay (sic), just toss that bale up here to me.

Doesn't this look like fun? Aren't you just dieing to help us next year?

Even Dad, who happened to be visiting, was pressed into service! He was our designated driver.


We only have room for two more bales on this load. Phewww!

Our truck is full. Now let's help our friends load up.


We get to try out our 'new' hay elevator. This sure beats hauling one bale up at a time with the block and tackle!

Grab it! We'll put it on the third row on my right.

Finished for now! Who needs to pay for a gym membership?!

8 comments:

  1. Putting hay up is definitely heavy lifting but what a peace of mind to know you've got hay for the winter!

    $3.00 a bale is SUPER cheap for my area. We are up to $4.00 a bale now =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeni, I wish we were at $4 for additional hay. We've been getting quotes for $6.50 - $7.50 for prairie grass hay.
    We were able to get 125 bales from the common property. 50 of those were very light (around 40 pounds). We'll need about 100 more bales for a complete year. But, what we have will see us through 6 months or so. Plus, for the moment Doc is on pasture almost all day and Pippin is working back up to more hours out - so I'm not feeding much hay at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea to grow hay in the common area. I've never had to pick up hay out of a field. That has got to be a ton of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carson, it is a ton of work - but it feels so good (despite the prickly hay that seems to find it's way into every intimate portion of your body)!
    Luckily we have great friends as neighbors. Working together makes it all seem easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, community property — what a concept — and what a wonderful way to use it. I sure would like to stumble onto a situation like that.

    Love your barn and the hay elevator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice hay elevator! We may have to get one of those when we run out of teenagers & young adults at home during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of work. I always opt to pay more for the hay to be delivered either by a harrow or stacked by the truck driver. I used to pick up hay occasionally with the help of my husband and son, but somebody always got hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it when we get hay. It's sick, I know. There is something about being outside getting a workout with the family, while getting something accomplished. I like it even better when we are done, it's rewarding! Glad you got your hay-day done!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...