Sunday, June 18, 2023

Helena, MT

We toured Helena in an open-sided "train" in the rain, thus my pictures are not the best. Helena has some lovely old homes and buildings reflecting its beginning as a gold camp in 1860's







Like many older towns, Helena had fires that destroyed much of the city. This is the "Guardian of the Gulch" that was constructed after a fire in 1876.

We visited the capitol building



After seeing CM Russell's paintings we were interested in seeing this, his largest work, hanging in the House of Representatives. The scene depicts Lewis & Clark meeting the Indians. Russell had to raise the roof of his studio in order to paint a canvas this large.



The Senate has this large, bronze bas relief depicting the Corps of Discovery struggling onward.


We also took a boat trip to see the "Gateway of the Mountains", as described by Lewis & Clark. The guide pointed out geological features and historical locations, one where the Corps of Discovery camped and another where a devastating wild fire took the lives of 13 firefighters.

Indian pictographs can be seen in this recessed grotto. 

The flat plates of rock were created by plate tectonics


Site of the Mann Gulch fire in 1949
 
A black bear can be seen in the middle of the picture. 
He turned around to look at us!

The Gateway

The video shows why this area was called the Gateway. As the boat moves, the rock seems to slide open, or closed.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...