Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Fort Mandan

The Corps of Discovery wintered near current Washburn, ND, close to Mandan and Hidatsa Indian villages. The Mandans had proven to be kind, and had a strong trade network established. The Corps could possibly use this as a foothold for future commerce. 

The men began construction of fortified living quarters in early November. They created several rooms for the men, storage rooms, captains' quarters and rooms for daily activities and work. The rooms formed a "V" shape and the span between the buildings was fortified with tall cottonwood logs as a palisade. 



The Fort was constructed to protect them men from hostile Indians, especially the Sioux. However, they experienced no problems.

Over the winter the men made rope, clothing, metal objects for trade with Indians, dried meat and made 6 canoes from large trees. The Captains prepared reports and descriptions of items they planned to send  to Jefferson in the spring. 






Near  Fort Mandan a large statue of Seaman has been constructed with a nice description of Seaman's purchase and the ways in which he helped the men.


In April the Corps of Discovery continued their trek upriver with 6 canoes and the 2 pirogues. The keel boat began its return journey with a small crew and specimens, maps, reports and journals for President Jefferson


1 comment:

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...