Monday, June 19, 2023

The Original Governors Mansion

We toured the Governor's mansion in Helena, MT, which has been restored, down to the tiniest detail, to what it looked like when the Government acquired it in 1913. The home was originally built in 1888 and has been the home of 9 Governors and their families until a new residence was constructed in 1959. I was impressed with the efforts the Restoration Society has made to return the building to earlier times. 

Elaborate tiles surround the fireplaces in the drawing room and dining room

The gold wall paper is similar to that which was originally in the dining room.

The coffered ceiling and walls have original leather coverings with gold details

A custom rug was recreated to fit on the curved stairway


A private sitting room stands between two bedrooms upstairs, allowing the Governor's family to relax privately when guests are visiting.



A scrap of silk wall paper was discovered and a manufacturer in France was able to duplicate the original wall covering. 





Even the top floor has elaborate hinges on the doors


The top floor served different purposes under different Governors. 
It may have been used for dances in the early days.
Our guide played music on two different machines, here an Edison phonograph with a cylinder.


The top floor was used as a school room and playroom


The doll in the carriage has real hair in the same style as the little girl that played with her


The top floor was at one time used by a seamstress















No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...