Thursday, June 8, 2023

Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center - Washburn, ND

En route from Epping, ND to Fort Peck, MT we stopped at the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center in Washburn, ND. Many of the Interpretive Centers we have visited have been very impressive. This is among my favorites. 

Huge metal sculptures of Lewis, Clark and Chief Sheheke greet visitors at the center.


The displays were innovative....

and inviting.


The center encouraged visitors to try on clothes, and interact with displays
\
Of course, I had to play along


There were many informative placards.



The Corps of Discovery reached this area as winter was setting in.
The Mandan Indians were friendly and would help the party,
so they created a fortified camp in the area. 


Knowing that the keel boat would not be able to proceed further north on the Missouri as it grew more shallow, it was sent back with journals and specimens of plants, animals and minerals. 

The center also has two galleries, and other exhibition spaces for art. The collections we saw were from historical and contemporary artists. 












 

3 comments:

  1. thecontemplativecat here. What a place. We would love to visit that place. Coming from the Midwest, a classmate of mine was a descendant of either Lewis or Clark. Seeing the northwest would be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to stop I did not know it existed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Dreaming here...) There were so many amazing museums and centers along our way. I was in awe of all I saw.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...