Tuesday, July 14, 2026

What's the Diff?

Two years ago...almost to the day...I was diagnosed with Clostridium perfringens. This is a cousin of Clostridium difficile. It took some time, and some tests, and some visits to various doctors, but after almost 2 months, my problems were all behind me (oh you just know I couldn't resist saying that!)

Microscopic image of c. diff bacterium

Everything in that region of my body has been fine, until recently. On a Friday afternoon, not too long ago, I developed a pain in my stomach, which is very unusual for me. After several hours, the pain had lessened, but I had developed other issues. I figured it was just some sort of bug going around, and laid low for a week. But, the problems continued, and actually worsened. I decided that the colitis I had two years ago must have returned. We were planning to go away for a week and I was concerned. I called the Gastroenterologist to see if they could fit me in, hoping to get some medication to help. I explained that I might have a 'colitis flare', which seemed to do the trick and I had an appointment, just like that! I saw a nurse practitioner. I was impressed. She prescribed a medication to ease cramping and one that might help my system, and gave me a take-home test. The rest of that day, and the next day, I felt great and had no symptoms, so I actually called the pharmacy and had them put the medications back on the shelf. Wrong thing to do! A few days later it was back, and almost a week later I received a call from the nurse practitioner....the results of the test showed that I didn't have C-perfringens, I had the real deal. I had acquired C-difficile, or C-diff. 

What?! Where? When? How? Why me?! 

If you have ever read about C-diff, it's one mean bug. It can run rampant in hospitals, and is becoming more frequent outside of institutions. It can be lethal. Everyone has the c-diff bacteria in their gut, and often, if people are taking an antibiotic that kills 'good' bacteria in the gut, c-diff, being resistant to many antibiotics, has a chance to flourish and take over. That wasn't the situation in my case, and I still don't know why c-diff took hold, but an antibiotic was called in. Both the pharmacist and the nurse practitioner stressed that I must take the medications evenly spaced at 6 hour intervals, in order for it to be most effective, and I must finish every pill. I set alarms on my phone, and customized them! I selected music. My alerts included, "What Do You Got?", "Bad Medicine" and "Getting Better All the Time"....I used a soft "thud" for the 1:30 AM alert, since rock and roll music would be a bit too startling at that time of day night! I've finished the course of antibiotics. Things seem to be on the mend, and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I don't want to be messing around with this bug again! 

However, despite my being impressed by the nurse practitioner at my initial visit, as I read more about the disease, and how devastating it can be, and how difficult it can be to eradicate, I became disenchanted. The nurse practitioner never suggested that I read anything. She never explained that C-diff bacteria spores can remain viable on a surface for several months....and up to a year in some cases!! The nurse practitioner never explained that household cleaners, and alcohol-based hand cleaners are not at all effective against c-diff. The nurse practitioner never explained that the growing c-diff bacteria populations release toxins that can damage cells in the intestinal lining. 

I realize now how fortunate I was to have licked this thing so promptly. It generally doesn't work that way!  I worry that I might have shared the bug with others. I worry that the Mister, who is vulnerable due to antibiotic use, is vulnerable. I worry that this is not the last I see of this disease. I keep waiting for the shoe to drop....it isn't a good feeling! 


8 comments:

  1. I've read up on C-diff now and suggest you enjoy what may have been a cure (lucky!!) and just keep quiet watch for symptoms that would suggest a return of the bugs in you, in Mister, and in others you interact with. No worries to ruin your days, fun, or creativity. Just awareness. So far, so good!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's resolved. It sounds awful.
    I really hate medical gate keepers, so often they don't give you the full story. Then you do some research and they act all pissy about it. Gahhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another gripe is that they prescribe meds...often disregarding interactions with other meds you take.

      Delete
  3. I had a doctor for 2 years who basically said nothing when I went on about my problem. The NP I have been seeing is engaged but still missed what is going on. We need to do our own research. They don't have the time and often not the inclination to go deeper. I am very glad for you to have beat this thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit the nail on the head with respect to lack of time. I know that Medicare more or less dictates how much of the Doctor's time with a patient they will pay for. Sad....

      Delete
  4. I have heard of it but never heard anyone talk about having it. I know I have read about it on those papers you get with antibiotic medications. I hope you keep improving. Hopefully the other shoe will not drop. I just read that a bleach solution can be used 1 part bleach and 9 parts water but surfaces must be wet for 5-10 minutes to kill the spores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how tenacious those little spores can be?

      Delete

What thoughts do you have?

How Holy Hot Can it Get?

 Our temps approached 100 today. Our heat index soared to 115°! Yikes! I did wander out to pick up a few things at Walmart and at Hobby Lobb...