Thursday, July 23, 2026

More Old Friends

While I was at the California condo I had the chance to visit with some other old friends! 


 When I am in California I sew on a 1948 Singer Featherweight. 

She's a little rough, showing a bit of rust here and there,

but she sews like a dream, with perfect stitches. 

I made this cover for her, and quilted it, using the Featherweight.



Another old friend that was in my sewing box is this 'bobbin' from an even older Singer machine.
This bobbin would have fit inside a shuttle. Singer originally used shuttles for the
lower thread. The shuttle was mounted in a piece that wagged back and forth allowing the bobbin thread to move behind the thread in the needle to create a stitch. 


Our new machines with their computerized stitching and time-saving features like automatic threaders and cutters are great, but they can't hold a candle to the older machines when it comes to reliability and longevity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have?

More Old Friends

While I was at the California condo I had the chance to visit with some other old friends!   When I am in California I sew on a 1948 Singer ...