Friday, May 12, 2023

Kansas City Here I Come

We traveled mostly on secondary roads from St. Louis to Columbia, MO, following the directions given to us by Adventure Caravans. There wasn't a lot to see: farm lands, narrow roads, an occasional glimpse of the Missouri River, for example. 

However, we did go through Bluffton, MO. There wasn't a lot to see! Bluffton used to sit on the bluff of the Missouri River, but the river's course has changed over the years. From the road all I noticed was a mailbox in front of a home for the Bluffton Barn, which is apparently a B & B that is often used by hikers on the Katy trail (Missouri, Kansas, Texas Railroad trail), and a street sign for Bluffton Rd. 




At one point we could see the dome of the Missouri State capitol building in Jefferson City in the distance. 

We arrived at the next park in Platte City, MO. We had bus tours into surrounding areas over the next 3 days.

Our first trip included an historic tour of Kansas City, MO. We began at Union Station, which is the 2nd largest station in the US, with only NYC being larger. I enjoyed seeing the older buildings, many of which are being renovated as young adults are moving into the city. 


Webster School opened in 1885 and served kids until th 1930's. It was a restaurant with boutique shops on the first floor until the pandemic. I had the opportunity to eat there two times!

Art Alley

World War I museum.

Historic TWA building with Moonliner II on the roof
Lewis & Clark Mural

Another shot of the Lewis & Clark Mural

Country Club Plaza, the first planned suburban shopping center.
It opened in 1923.

Children's Mercy Research Institute - the off-color window spell out the DNA sequence of cancers that some of the young patients have had. At night the sequence glows in LED colors.

The Meyer Circle Horse Fountain, one of more than 200 fountains in the city.
Kansas City is known as the "City of Fountains" having more fountains than another city except Rome.

Murals celebrating Negro League baseball players

Kansas City Statehouse

Kauffman Center for Performing Arts. The roof shimmers and the points of the building are reminiscent of the Sydney Opera House.

Plantaes Seed & Spice Shop in the Historic City Market. The store opened 100 years ago and still has the original squeaky wood floors and drawers for bulk seed. 

 














No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...