Saturday, May 27, 2023

Aktá Lakota Museum & Cultural Center


This museum/cultural center, located on the campus of the St. Joseph boarding school for Indians in Chamberlain, SD, depicts the story of the Lakota (one branch of the Sioux tribe) using the four colors and directions of the medicine wheel. 

East: Depicts life on the plains prior to Euro-American contact


South: details the arrival of explorers, missionaries, traders and settlers.

The "embroidery" on the fan and parasol are actually made from tiny seed beads that would have come from traders.

West: shares broken promises, outlining government involvement and details of loss of traditional lands

North: shows how people adapted to new ways and preserved their traditions and heritage. Part of that display included Star quilts.

The Star quit is a symbol of the Indians gathering together into one people: Lakota, Dakota and Nakota all forming the Sioux nation. "Alone, each piece of the quilt means nothing. But if you place all the pieces together,  you have something beautiful, held together with powerful ties." Based on writings from Rev. Thomas J Murphy 

The display case had a hinge that cast a shadow on this beautiful quilt

More examples of the Star quilt



I have always been fascinated with Indian schools, having visited several with my grandparents when I was young. St. Joseph houses up to 200 students from grade 1 to 12 (grades 9-12 go to the local high school). Students live in family houses with up to 12 students. The education is free to the Indians. I had hoped to learn more about the school, and was disappointed that we received so little information. Most schools (that I knew of in the past) would indoctrinate the kids into American culture and christianity, wiping out Indian culture and language. I have visited some centers where focus has shifted to reeducating the children into Indian language and culture. St. Joseph has a class for Indian culture for the students, but I didn't learn much more than that. There was a display area in another part of the museum that informed more about the school and student life, but we ran out of time. (One of the hazards of traveling with a group.)

Our museum guide was a graduate of the school and is currently completing his college education. He was well versed in his own culture. If he is an example of the product of the school, a youngster who may break the cycle of alcoholism, unemployment, and child abuse, all is good!




 



4 comments:

  1. thecontemplativecat here. What an experience. I'd love to go there, having become more interested in my own lineage. My gr-ma's grandmother was part of the Seneca in the Iroquois nation in the northeastern part of US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding it all fascinating - Dreaming

      Delete
  2. Hi Cindi (I hope that's right?!) you are having a wonderful journey along the Pony Express route - I'd love to take the journey at some stage - you're showing us some wonderful sights. So interesting too and educative - we need to understand more. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...