Sunday, May 26, 2019

Quiero Aprender Español

Last year, while driving from Florida to California, the Mister and I talked about the value of learning Spanish. We live in a rural, agricultural area in Florida with a huge Hispanic population. In California, we are surrounded by another large Hispanic population. It would be nice to be able to understand them and possibly to hablo con ellos. While we drove (and I had a lot of time to do this, as it is a long, long way from southwest Florida to Northern California) I researched different language learning platforms. Then, I recalled that the Mister had something on his phone, and it was a free app. So, I checked it out. The program is called Duolingo. You can access it from a computer or you can use an app on your iPad or iPhone. I began using the program. I listen to Duolingo podcasts, I read Duolingo stories and almost daily I do at least two DL lessons.


I also checked books out of the library, and bought one that I liked to provide extra practice.  Additionally, I try to write a few sentences daily in an online journal I've created. I have come a long way... and have longer to go! However, I celebrate every word I understand when I hear people talking around me, and when I run into someone who is Hispanic, I at least try to comment, "Buenas días, cómo está?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...