Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pippin's POV: Being the Best

My Mrs. Owner finally found time to ride me and Doc the other day. I don't know what has been keeping that lady out of the saddle, but it was about time she remembered us and did something with us other than shove food our way. Oh wait, I'm not saying I don't like my food, 'cause you all know what a chow hound I am!
Anyway, I knew something was up when my Mrs. Owner caught us both and tied us up. She groomed us and saddled us. I got to wear the military police saddle. I think it looks especially nice on me. 
First she rode Doc. They went out into the round pen. Doc did the round and round thing and then my Mrs. Owner got up on his back. They did some more stuff, but it was kinda boring so I gave up on watching what was going on while I was trying to rub the halter off. I snoozed a bit.
Then it was my turn. My Mrs. Owner tried to scare me with the whip. We stood in the round pen and she hit the ground with it. Ha, I'm not falling for that. I know she's not going to hit me. Then she pushed me around the pen for a while. Finally she called me into the center and told me what a good boy I was. I felt all gooshy inside. My Mrs. Owner took my halter off and put on something else. It wasn't a halter....but it wasn't a bridle either. It has reins but it doesn't have that awful, cold metal thing in my mouth. My Mrs. Owner got on top of me. She asked me to walk on. Then she stopped me. She did this many more times. Then she asked me to turn in circles...and serpentines....and half circles. We stopped. We walked. We turned. We did some sideways stuff. The thing that isn't a bridle feels different. It tugs at me by my ear and under my throat. It pulls gently on my nose. It feels so much better than the bit. I kept my head down and my mouth shut the entire time we were working. Then we went into the center of the round pen. My Mrs. Owner leaned down and gave me a big hug. She said I was the best! Ha! That means I'm better than Doc. That means I'm better than any other horse. I know my superlatives!

4 comments:

  1. You are such a good boy Pippin to adjust to the bitless bridle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for going bitless! Yay for happier horses. What kind did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney - Both Pippin and I are saying 'Yay'! I found a Dr. Cooks at a garage sale. It had only been used once. I needed to get my own brow band, but other than that, it is perfect! Pippin has stopped all of the mouthing (duh...there is nothing to mouth) but he is still a very nervous pony! He lathered where the western reins lay across his shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pippin, sounds like you really like your new bridle without the metal mouth piece. Good boy Pippin!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...