1928 Rolls Royce
On display at the Florida Carriage Museum
Grand Oaks Resort
20 Steps to Starting the 1928 Rolls Royce
- Put Hand Brake on.
- Put gear lever in Neutral.
- Put Autovac on Petrol.
- Put electric on Battery Switch.
- Close shutters.
- Put starting carburetor on.
- Fully close the throttle.
- Fully retard spark.
- Put mixture control to "strong."
- Depress the clutch.
- Turn starter over to get oil on lay shaft. This applies only to to the first start of the day.
- Let clutch out.
- Turn ignition switch to "MB&C."
- Start engine by stepping on the starter button. The starting carburetor will make a sucking sound.
- Open throttle some to keep engine running.
- Turn starting carburetor off. If engine starts to die, turn starting carburetor a little bit. Be sure starting carburetor is off before proceeding.
- Advance spark fully to prevent valves from burning when car is being driven.
- Slowly bring mixture control back to center as engine warms up.
- Open shutters some when water temperature gets to 70 degrees Celsius.
- Get auto in motion in First Gear only after taking hand brake off.
I hope you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere!