Thursday, March 26, 2020

I'm Strapped

A post went up on our community FaceBook page that one of the residents in my new community is making face masks for medical personnel. One of her friends is a nurse and made the request, so Jacky made a few masks for her. Requests popped up almost as fast as the virus has spread in New York! Jacky put out a plea on FaceBook, and on Thursday she reported that over 300 masks had been made by people in our community!

While people were busy sewing, a problem arose. Jacky ran out of elastic and the elastic she ordered was backordered. She asked if I could make some straps. Ick! I thought of the challenge of sewing and turning small tubes of fabric. It certainly was something I could do, but not something I really cared to do... but in the spirit of helping I wandered into my sewing room. Then, it hit me! My Singer Featherweight machines come with a bias binding presser foot.


It is intended to apply bias binding to a raw edge of fabric, but I wondered if it could turn and sew a strip of fabric, without applying it to anything else. The answers was, "Yes!"
I also wondered if it would work with something other than fabric cut on the bias (which is another pain!) and again, the answer was, "Yes!"

Within a few minutes it was working! Sure, there were a lot of goofs and a bit of experimenting with how to hold the fabric, and what sort of fabric to use... but, ta da!!! I had straps!


The presser foot takes the strip, folds the bottom edge in and turns the upper edge on top of it. The machine stitches it all in place. I found that I could use a glue stick and glue one piece to another, making a long chain with the fabric strips, and sew them all as one long strip, then cut them at the glued joints.


I made a video! 
I thought it might be helpful for people to see how it's done, 
knowing that a picture is worth a thousand words!


I took my straps to Jacky's house, leaving them on her front porch, and she incorporated them into masks.


Jackie's nurse friends sent her a hearty thanks, and a picture to show how grateful they are. This particular group is using the fabric masks on top of the regulation N-95 masks, allowing them to change the fabric mask for each patient. This lets them use the N-95 mask for multiple patients, trying to hang on to their dwindling supply.


14 comments:

  1. Way to go! I have also heard that the straps are better because they can be autoclaved. And I just saw a nurse who said her ears were sore from masks with elastic so she sewed a button on her headband near her ears and attached her mask that way:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the button solution. Genius! I heard through the grapevine that tie straps are better than elastic, but I couldn't find anything online to support it. Glad to hear another person with the same opinion. Stay safe up there!

      Delete
  2. This is a great project and the masks even look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some folks have purchased really cute fabric. I've just used what I have on hand, and I guess making straps out of ugly fabric is a good use of that fabric!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I have a friend who is making the fabric masks, I'm going to send her this post as she ran out of elastic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Share with whomever you would like! If they have questions, they can email me

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to find something you can do to help! All I can do is stay home out of the way and not becoming a patient for the already busy and stressed medical community. That and pray for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing your part, and I certainly hope neither of us, nor our family members become patients. This certainly could be ugly!

      Delete
  5. how long a strap does each mask need,please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each mask needs 4 straps, each about 15 inches in length.

      Delete
  6. This is awesome, Cindy! And inspiring! Thank you for making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is all Greek to me, but how I love what you are doing, what you and your friend have accomplished. I hope someone on FB sends your video out into the larger world. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...