Monday, July 30, 2018

Let's Go Fly a Kite

We Dreamers rode our bikes to the Berkeley Kite Fest. The morning was a bit chilly, but the fog lifted and it was a perfect day. The kites are almost as magnificent as hot air balloons. Some are huge! We took a few lessons with stunt kites and were hooked.

Mr. Dreamy launches a stunt kite

The whimsical owls were "flying" almost all day
Kites of every size and shape were represented



The festival has free kites that kids can color and fly. This video was taken early in the day before a zillion kids' kites were in the air!

One of the neatest things about the Kite Fest is that my 1st cousin, once removed (my cousin's son... in case you don't understand the 'removed' thing either!) is a professional kite flyer, and we had the opportunity to meet him.


His name is John Barresi. I attempted to make a sketch of him in action. He is the man calling the shots, closest to the camera in my video, below. He is an amazing guy. He bought his first kite at this very festival 26 years ago... and has turned his passion into a career.



3 comments:

  1. Your video is wonderful, showing both the kites and John flying the kite, he uses his whole body! You think I might be a proud MaMa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a proud cousin once removed! He has such fluidity of movement... and such calm. He didn't even flinch when the kite came down with a rustle behind him!

      Delete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...