Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Euglossa dilemma

Here is one last post written in April and recently discovered....

The other morning I noticed movement among the flowers of my giant leaf Begonia. I became intrigued by the shimmer of light coming from what looked like a green bee. A very shiny, green bee.

Luckily I was able to snap a picture of the insect:


A quick Google search yielded the information that I had spotted a Green Orchard Bee, also known as Euglossa dilemma. What an interesting scientific name! 

Picture from the Internet
The bee first appeared in southern Florida in 2003. It was thought that the insect was a Central American species. However, further study shows that it exhibits slight differences and thus was a new species, a "cryptic species". Thus it seems the insect created a puzzle... and thus its name!



3 comments:

  1. I just recently came across an insect of the same color in my flowers here in Ohio! Though the wings were quite different. I googled it but, the name now escapes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! It is amazing how colorful insects can be... and how far ranging they are.

      Delete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...