Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Fast Cars and Fine Women

When I was a little girl, my father (like many men) had an infatuation with sleek cars and speed, among other things. He often went to the races, and he had a series of small sports cars. Alfa Romeos were his favorite. Being of a mechanical mind, Dad built this rig to have a better view at the race track. (Dad is on the left.) This contraption intrigued the folks at Sports Illustrated, who published this in their magazine in the 50's.


What (you might ask) does this have to do with anything? When I was shopping for Christmas presents I was struggling with what to get for my father. I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me and said, "I am the perfect gift!" I came back from the store rather disillusioned. However, I began to think about Dad. He has never truly recovered from strokes he had last spring, or perhaps it is dementia that has overtaken him, but he is happy. Little things bring a smile to his face. Material things may not necessarily do that. But, I thought, what if I painted a picture of his favorite car from when he was a dashing young guy? What if I painted a memory of good times? At that time I was only on painting #4 of my challenge, but I decided I would try it. Since he has dabbled with oil and acrylic, I'm thinking he'd appreciate anything I did. So....
Ta Da....


Dad loved it!

4 comments:

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...