Thursday, November 10, 2011

Saddle Up!

Wednesday I had the chance to saddle up and ride.... but not one of my horses! I rode a former eventer named, "Mac", who I immediately began to call, "Big Mac". Compared to my Haflingers he was mite bit taller and longer!
I have begun to volunteer at a therapeutic riding center closer to my home. I am still volunteering two days a week near my former home, but I am not liking the one hour drive so decided to check out places closer to us. The new center is called, "Saddle Up". It is quite new, having begun operations in 2008. The family that started the program and provided the facilities is most kind... and generous.... and committed.... and rich!
Everything about the program and the facilities is top notch! They have 40 acres, a huge, indoor arena and barn and a darling "cottage" attached to one end of the barn for visitors, trainers, and recently for a "Make a Wish" family.
Yesterday we had a rider at 9. The riders that were scheduled for 10 and 11 cancelled. We expected our last rider for the morning at noon. So, with that nice chunk of time suddenly available to us, another volunteer and I started cleaning those lovely stalls in the beautiful barn. Suddenly the barn manager pronounced that it was too nice a day and that we should all go riding. I didn't think she was talking to everyone. I mean, I'm just a lowly volunteer and this was only my second time at the facility (having been snowed out for two Wednesday's in a row!!) I kept cleaning stalls. The barn manager called the office, which is located in a huge viewing area at one end of the arena. She told them that considering the chunk of free time we had, and the beautiful day we were experiencing, that they should all come ride, too. I kept cleaning stalls. The barn manager walked by my stall and inquired whether I rode Western or English. I thought she was just being nice and making conversation... I kept cleaning. Finally when I came out of the stall lugging the muck bucket, she looked right at me and said, "Go get your horse! You are going to ride Mac."

Ok... so start up some beatbox to get the rhythm going......

So, there I was, muckin' out the stall
When the hoss boss lady said, "Let's all
Get outside
and go for ride
it's far too nice to be inside."
I got Big Mac 
and found his tack,
I put that saddle up on his back.
Out we went into the ring
And now I'm thinking
 Can I get on this thing?
We walked and trotted,
And cantered, some.
It seems like everyone had some fun.
At the end of the ride
We put the horses aside,
Went back to our places
With huge grins on our faces!


8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous facility. And how nice that you got to ride. Glad you found such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day in the saddle is a good day! We have a therapeutic center here that I volunteered at, but I couldn't keep up physically - I was a horse handler- too much jogging for my bad back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really are neighbors! The next barn east of "Saddle Up" is "Stellar" - where Elvis is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Big Mac Daddy!

    Sounds like a great day!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! You made me laugh! I had to 'sing' it outloud. I'm thinking your stage name can be "Dream Ditty." What cha think? I had a dream last night that I was riding a horse bareback! I don't even ride horses with a saddle! Maybe your blog subconsciously gave me that dream.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so cool! I know you had a great time. When I lived in England, I used to ride a horse named Everest! He was huge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like such a great day. Shall I tell Camryn to keep it on the down low, so Pippin and Doc don't feel two timed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that sounds like a great place to volunteer..I hope you get lots of opportunities to ride there!:)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have?

I knew I Could - Vickie's A-musings

Hi, I'm Vickie, and I just had some great fun! I earned 4 ribbons!! Sweet! Me with two of. my 4 ribbons I just knowed I could do it. I&#...